Lower back pain is one of the most common problems of fitness people. Discomfort is a concern for beginners and experienced athletes alike.
Lower back pain usually occurs after various multi-joint and basic exercises. Today we will find out why the lower back hurts after squats. We will talk in detail about the causes and consequences as well as how to avoid them.
Let’s start with the fact that just because your lower back hurts after squats does not mean that it is terrible. After all, discomfort can occur for a variety of reasons. And it can be caused by overworked muscles, as well as painful joints and vertebrae.
If, in the first case, there is no need to worry, then in the second case, you should immediately stop weight training and see a doctor.
It is worth mentioning that there is no need to limit exercise. Exercising, in any case, will be useful. The only thing is that the nature of practice and workout is entirely different. But, about this later.
Why does your lower back sore from squats?
Usually, there can be a lot of reasons. Not always beginners can decide for themselves why lower back hurts after squats. Therefore, recommended that you contact a qualified expert. He or she will be able to help determine the origin of the pain syndrome and develop measures to help prevent it.
As practice shows, the main reasons for lower back problems is non-compliance with the exercise technique. This is what leads to various injuries. No one – neither an experienced nor a beginner – is insured against this.
The main types of lower back sore from squats:
- Muscle micro-injuries. They are the result of fatigue and stretching of muscle fibers. They usually result from proper exercise. This is a natural and healthy process for muscle growth. It is characterized by tugging pain.
- Osteochondrosis. Typically occurs in the lower back area due to a deformation of the spinal column.
- Nerve pinching. Due to the high mobility of the vertebrae, they can pinch the nerve endings and cause very unpleasant and sharp painful feelings.
- Intervertebral hernia. If the hernia is large enough, it can irritate the nerve or cause inflammation of surrounding tissue. This will be accompanied by back pain.
How do you squat appropriately so as not to cause lower back sore?
Errors and negligence in the execution technique lead to injury. And as a result, all this is reflected in the form of pain in the lower back.
Let’s look at the main ones:
- Narrow legs. This position not only increases the amplitude of the lower back but also forces the body to lean forward heavily. It turns out that when the legs extended, the weight is pushed with the lower back, not with the legs. Therefore, not recommended to squat with narrow legs with more weight, especially for beginners. Mistakes in technique can easily lead to injury.
- Incorrectly positioned barbell. Many beginners put it on the neck, not on a trapezium. In this case, it is easy to get neck osteochondrosis. Also, the pressure on the lower back increases many times.
- Lack of warm-up. Muscles must be prepared for a workout. They must be well warmed to work with weight.
- You have to practice warm. Muscles like warmth. The warmer the room, the more elastic it is. It would help if you didn’t disregard that rule, especially for girls practicing in the same top. During training, muscles will warm-up and cool down, which may affect the efficiency of the workout.
What if your lower back sore from squats?
The most important thing is not to panic! It is important to determine the type of pain correctly and already, based on this, to build a strategy for further action. If you can not understand on your own, whether the muscle or unhealthy pain, it is better to contact a qualified specialist who will help.
They can be not only a doctor but also an experienced trainer. If the pain turns out to be unhealthy, they’ll have to take an X-ray, an MRI, and see better.
If the pain is unhealthy, it not recommended to delay with a qualifying examination. Treatment should be carried out as soon as possible, so as not to make the situation worse.
Ignoring the problem is too high a price to pay in the future. Therefore, do not hope for a “miracle.” How to treat – will tell a qualified doctor, who will find out all the points and determine the recovery project.